Sports briefs

Softball

The New Mexico softball team won its first Mountain West game Sunday with an 8-6 victory over San Diego State. The win followed losses to the Aztecs on Friday and Saturday.

The Lobos (10-20, 1-2 MW) took a 6-1 lead in the second inning with six runs. SDSU tied the game with a single run in the third and four more in the fourth. UNM regained the lead with a home run by Naomi Tellez at the bottom of the fourth.

Tellez went 3-for-3 at the plate in the series’ third game, while Lauren Soles (3-3) grabbed the complete-game win giving up three earned runs on five hits with two strikeouts.

The win followed Friday’s 11-9 loss to SDSU — the Mountain West opener for both teams — and another 11-3 setback on Saturday.

Track and Field

The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association currently lists the New Mexico men’s team in 15th place for the John McDonnell Program of the Year award for 2013-14.

The recent standings serve as a progress report that takes the 2013 NCAA Cross Country Championships and the 2014 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships into account. The Lobos have 59 points on the report. UNM took 45th at the indoor championships and 11th at the cross country championships.

Distance runner Luke Caldwell has given a boost to UNM in both events. The Mountain West Men’s Indoor Student Athlete of the Year took sixth in the 5,000-meter run at the indoor meet after placing 10th at the cross country meet.

Jumper Kendall Spencer also scored points for UNM at the indoor championship with an eighth-place finish in the long jump. The Lobos have scored points in each of the last five NCAA indoor meets.

The Program of the Year Award will be presented after NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships held June 11-14 in Eugene, Oregon.

UNM has been in the award’s final standings for the last four years, including a 13th-place finish last year and an 11th-place finish in 2012.

Tennis

Both Lobo men’s and women’s teams captured dual victories against nearby schools over the weekend. The UNM men earned a 4-2 over New Mexico State on Saturday, while the women dropped the Aggies 6-1 on Friday and the UTEP Miners 4-3 on Saturday.

The Lobo women won every match against NMSU except the No. 3 singles bout. Michaela Bezdickova, Lizette Blankers, Dominique Dulski, Meredith Hopson and Rachana Bhat all won singles matches, while Bezdickova/Blankers, Hopson/Natasha Smith and Dulski/Emily Olivier had the doubles wins.

Against UTEP, UNM’s Dulski, Smith and Bhat won their singles matches and took the doubles point with two match wins from Hopson/Smith and Dulski/Olivier.

As the UNM women did in the UTEP dual, the Lobo men claimed three singles matches and won the doubles point with two wins. Samir Iftikhar, Rodolfo Jauregui and Mads Hegelund had the singles wins while Hayden Sabatka/Jauregui and Hegelund/Andrew Van Der Vyver won doubles bouts. The No. 3 singles match did not finish.