Women's soccer: Lobos qualify for MW tourney

New Mexico clinched a spot in the Mountain West women’s soccer tournament following a 1-0 victory over Colorado College Friday afternoon in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Midfielder Claire Lynch scored her fourth goal in the season nearly 18 minutes into the game, benefitting from an assist from midfielder Dylann O’Connor. Her goal pushed UNM (8-7-1, 6-2-1 MW) over the .500 mark for the first time this season.

Lynch and O’Connor also teamed up for the first goal in last Sunday’s win over Fresno State.

Coupled with San Jose State’s 1-0 loss to UNLV, the Lobos moved into second place in the conference standings. San Diego State maintained atop the standings with its 1-0 win over Air Force, also in Colorado Springs.

UNM’s defense kept Colorado College leading scorer Sarah Schweiss in check. The Tiger midfielder who had nine goals entering the game took only three shots on the Lobos. UNM goalkeeper Cassie Ulrich made three saves in her fifth shutout this season.

“I think for certain this was our best weekend,” UNM head coach Heather Dyche said in a statement. “I thought we were very composed and played the type of soccer we are capable of playing.”

As a team, UNM outshot Colorado College 16-7 and 8-3. The Lobos had not beaten Colorado College since 1997.

UNM will remain in Colorado Springs through the weekend with a game at Air Force on Sunday.

J.R. Oppenheim is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. Contact him at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @JROppenheim.