Michelle Lujan Grisham reelected as NM governor

On Tuesday, Nov. 8, Michelle Lujan Grisham was elected for her second term as governor of New Mexico, beating out Republican opponent Mark Ronchetti with 52% of the vote.

“We never forget who we are and we don’t turn our backs on people who are different from us. Tonight, I am so proud of New Mexico,” Lujan Grisham said.

The governor race pitted incumbent Lujan Grisham against former network television meteorologist Ronchetti; he ran unsuccessfully for Senate in 2020, coming within six percentage points against Democratic candidate Ben Ray Lujan

Democrats have had control over all three branches of state government since Lujan Grisham’s victory in 2018 against Republican Steve Pearce, including commanding majorities in the Legislature. Republicans have held the governor office only three times in the state’s 110-year history.

Jessica Velasquez, chair of the Democratic party, said the goal was to sweep with Democratic victories up, and down the ballot. She also said University of New Mexico students did the right thing by voting — and voting Democrat.

“New Mexico Democrats are leading the way on civil rights for every New Mexican within the state,” Velasquez said.

Grisham has championed reproductive justice — a significant issue in this year’s election. She signed an executive order earlier this year directing state agencies and departments not to assist with other states’ investigations or prosecutions that would hold someone criminally or civilly liable for providing, seeking, obtaining or assisting an abortion.

Lt. Gov. Howie Morales spoke about the administration’s dedication to ensuring the success of future generations and so they can enjoy the innovation that has already begun to be noticeable.

“We’re talking about conservation, we’re talking about protecting our lands and our water, and our beautiful opportunity for our state: our governor has shown that leadership,” Morales said.

In a closing statement, Lujan Grisham emphasized the importance of coming together and the role that New Mexico has in regards to the rest of the country. 

“Every person in this room has a moral responsibility. We, as New Mexico, need to show America what hope looks like and what purpose looks like,” Lujan Grisham said. “Working together, for each other, is the most important thing that we can do, that we’re going to do. Four more years – and let’s get back to work.”

Cyrrene Giaccardo is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @dailylobo