Indian dance recital rhythmic

Ponnappan demonstrates Bharatanatyyam style

On Saturday Nov. 2, the India Student Association's dance demonstration, featuring guest artist, Deepa Ponnappan focused on the fluid, southern style of Bharatanatyyam. Because of Ponnappan's great attention to detail, skill and beauty were embedded in every piece.

Ponnappan has been studying Bharatanatyyam for 17 years and since that time she has performed all over India and the United States. This is not an easy style of dance to learn or execute properly. Not only do Bharatanatyyam dancers have to be graceful, they must have an innate understanding of rhythm and display great strength.

The demonstration was a creative mixture of these attributes and had all the properties of a physical and spiritual experience. The pieces revolved around stories of interaction between mortals and Hindu gods.

The first two pieces, "Pushpanjali" and "Shabdham," were expressions of spirituality intended to invoke and give praise to the gods. The first was dedicated to the Hindu god Ganesha, who is always worshipped first because of his ability to remove all the obstacles that may arise in the causes of any undertaking. This piece articulated reverence through balance and graceful isolations. This serenity existed in contrast to the brilliant cranberry and teal colored costume Ponnappan wore.

The third piece, "Varman: Mayam Yeno Swami," was the most involved and complex. Full of intricate footwork and enhanced by the playful bells Ponnappan wore around her ankles - the piece had a definitive percussive nature. The special shoes Ponnappan wore clicked when she pressed them against the floor, further amplifying the rhythmic effect.

Attention to detail is central to Bharatanatyyam. Each finger and eye movement has a purpose and performed surely with a distinctive intent. It is a dance that is full of tension giving the illusion that the dancers are pulling imaginary taffy with every muscle of their bodies.

Bharatanatyyam is a dance form that makes use of feminine finger, arm and hand movements contrasted with masculine foot pounding patterns designed to interpret the physical, emotional and spiritual states.

In an age in which TV has become the most immediate and available source of cultural expression, events like the Indian Student Association's beautifully executed dance demonstration are a breath of fresh air.